Great Expectations® Maternity helps members take the right steps toward having a healthy baby. We provide free educational materials and ongoing support and monitoring by our nursing staff. If seeking additional pregnancy education, members may want to consider taking an SC hospital-based perinatal education class. Contact the facility directly for specific class information.
How Do Members Sign Up?
A member's obstetrician or primary care physician will contact us. When we receive a Maternity Authorization, we send the expectant mother an invitation to join the program. We'll also send a detailed Maternity Questionnaire for her to complete. This form helps our staff assign a risk level to the pregnancy, which helps guide our recommendations. We also include a voucher for the pregnant mom to choose a pregnancy or baby book.
When we receive the completed health assessment and book voucher, we'll send the expectant mother the free pregnancy or baby book of her choice. She'll also get a copy of our Maternity Guidelines, which show our recommended schedule of care during pregnancy.
What Do Members Receive?
- Telephone counseling sessions that cover general maternity information and information about the member's specific condition. The number of calls we make depends on the member's risk level and her individual pregnancy. We encourage all members to call us any time with questions or concerns they have.
- Additional educational materials, including a list of helpful community resources as well as our Welcome, Second Trimester, Third Trimester and Postpartum newsletters.
- Referrals to other Great Expectations programs that can help with other health issues, such as asthma, diabetes or quitting smoking.
- A telephone call and/or follow-up letter after delivery, with information about immunizations for the baby and a reminder about scheduling the postpartum visit.
- Helpful information about postpartum blues and postpartum depression. You can complete this short survey and take it with you to your postpartum follow-up appointment.
To enroll in a Great Expecations® program or for more information about health coaching and access to helpful resources, log in to My Health Toolkit and select Health and Wellness then Health Coaching. You can also call us at 855-838-5897.
Before You're Pregnant
Breastfeed Versus Bottlefeed?
Just for Dad
March of Dimes
Pregnancy and Newborn Health Education Center
Preparing for the Arrival of Your Newborn
Shaken Baby Syndrome
Breastfeeding: How To and Steps for Success
Exercise During Pregnancy
Fetal Development by Trimester
Interactive Pregnancy Tools: Ovulate, Due Date and Weight Gain Calculators
Nutrition During Pregnancy
Pre-eclampsia (Toxemia of Pregnancy, Pregnancy-induced Hypertension)
Virtual Pregnancy and Birthing Classroom
Weight Gain During Pregnancy
Members can also find a lot of information on pregnancy, childbirth and caring for a baby through My 9 Months. A new helpful and fun resource is text4baby. Text4baby is a product of the National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies coalition, an independent company that offers health information on behalf of BlueChoice HealthPlan.
These are independent companies that offer health information on behalf of BlueChoice HealthPlan. These links lead to third party websites. Those parties are solely responsible for the contents and privacy policies on their sites.