As COVID cases continue to rise, BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina remains committed to helping our community and the members we service. We understand that hospitals need free beds to treat patients with more severe cases quickly. To ready beds for future patients, our Medical Management team has created a temporary process to expedite authorization requests related to discharges for COVID patients.
All incoming Medical Management Call Center phone lines have an option to transfer to a line where resources will expedite authorizations related to discharge.
Phone Line Messages:
BlueChoice® HealthPlan and Affordable Care Act Plans
If you know your party’s 5-digit extension and would like to enter it now, press 1. If you need assistance expediting an authorization to urgently discharge or transfer a patient from an inpatient bed, press 2. If you have a different request, please hold on the line for the next available representative.
BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina Plans
Please press 1 if you need assistance expediting an authorization to urgently discharge or transfer a patient from an inpatient bed. If you have a different request, please hold on the line for the next available representative.
- Refer to the back of the member’s identification card and call the prior authorization phone number listed.
- The criteria for expedited requests include:
- - Inpatient bed (inpatient acute hospital, rehabilitation hospital, long term acute hospital, or skilled nursing facility).
- - Facility is moving the patient elsewhere (e.g., to a lower level of care or home).
- There will be an available option for expedited COVID related authorizations.
- For fax requests, follow the normal process and indicate “COVID Discharge Request” on the fax coversheet.
If you have any questions related to this bulletin, please contact Provider Education using the Provider Education Contact Form located on www.BlueChoiceSC.com.