Americans are living longer, healthier lives than ever — and screening tests may have something to do with that. Screenings allow doctors to detect health concerns before they become serious. This allows for early treatment to keep you feeling your best.
Talk to your doctor about which of these screenings are right for you:
- Colorectal cancer: When caught early, 9 out of 10 cases of colorectal cancer are curable. The American Cancer Society recommends that people 45 and older get screened. There are several screenings to choose from. Each type has its own benefits. Your doctor can help you pick the test that’s best for you.
- Breast cancer: A woman’s risk for breast cancer increases with age. Experts recommend that women have a screening mammogram every year beginning at age 40. If you have a family history of breast cancer, you may need to be screened earlier. Ask your doctor when and how often you should be screened.
- Cervical cancer: A Pap test is recommended for all women between the ages of 21 and 65. But did you know that this simple test could save your life? The most common form of cervical cancer starts with precancerous changes in your cervix. These changes can be detected using a Pap test. If a pre-cancer is found, it can be treated. This helps to stop cervical cancer before it starts.
- Play an active role in your health care. Make a list of your top three health questions and concerns before your next appointment to talk about with your doctor.
- There is a national shortage of primary care doctors. That means that it can take a little while to schedule a physical (checkup) with your doctor. Make sure to call early to make your appointment.
Preventive care pays off in the FOCUSfwd® Wellness Incentive Program*
When you complete our FOCUS Points* program in FOCUSfwd, you’ll receive a $70 cash reward when you complete the following activities that are important to improving your overall health: Personal Health Assessment, annual wellness visit, and preventive screening or flu shot. Plus, you'll receive 40 entries into the FOCUSfwd Sweepstakes, increasing your chances of winning one of our $1,000 quarterly and $5,000 annual cash rewards.
To get started, you'll need to:
- Within FOCUSfwd, select FOCUS Points.
- Start by completing your Personal Health Assessment.
- The Annual Wellness Exam, Preventive Screenings, and your Flu Shot will automatically be rewarded when your claim has been processed. You may also self-report your Flu Shot.
Don’t forget to log in to FOCUSfwd regularly to make sure you don’t miss any winner notifications!
*These are calendar-year programs and will restart annually. FOCUSfwd is available to applicable subscribers and their spouses (aged 18 and older). You can call the Customer Service number located on the back of your member ID card to confirm if this program is available to you.